Mom's Quilt

Here’s my mom’s quilt that’s now all quilted and ready to bind.  I used a quilting design that looks like a bouquet of flowers flowing out of each square center which is the vintage floral fabric, the only print I used.  For the narrow 1/2 inch sashing between the blocks, I used simple long arm pearls to set each block apart.  On the back, I used the slate color of the radiance fabric from Robert Kaufman because I love the way it looks and feels.   It’s a cotton silk blend that is soooo yummy.  

Mom wanted it bigger.

This quilt was originally a gift to my mother for Christmas, but she told me she wanted it bigger so that it could be a comforter for her queen size bed. I guess it’s a good thing she told me she wanted it bigger before I quilted it.

I do not normally use huge borders, but that was the most expeditious way to enlarge this quilt top.  Expeditious when it came to sewing, but not finishing. The delay was caused by the matching fabric being on back order at my local quilt shop, Sew Modern. Now it’s become a late Christmas/Mother’s Day gift. This quilt is a mix of a vintage floral fabric and two solids. The border is Moda’s Cross Weave Woven Blue Blue, and there’s also hint of a Kona solid gold color. The Cross Weave looks more like a turquoise than a blue, but whatever you call it, it’s my mom’s favorite color.

Now the quilt is on my long arm, swiftly on its way to a (delayed) expeditious finish!


Repurposing an Old Barkcloth Curtain

I have an obsession with vintage fabrics, curtains and tablecloths (as previously discussed here), and my stash runeth over. At last, I've finally finished the quilt I started from an old, and rather beat up, mid-century barkcloth curtain. I fussy cut the images from the not-so-damaged parts of the curtain, bordered each image in a coordinating fabric and then set them afloat in a sea of rust. I quilted the background with blue and green thread to create an additional layer of texture in all that rust. The border is made up of all the fabrics I used in the quilt plus a couple of others.

I actually haven't completely finished it because I still need to attach the binding, but for the most part it is done. I'm excited to really finish it and see it put to use. My first intention was for our home bed, but I am beginning to think that the rustic feel of the quilt makes it better suited for our cabin in Idyllwild. Wherever it lands, I'm happy that it is done since I so rarely make quilts for myself, and that I was able to use some of my beloved vintage fabric!